Dental care of children should initiate from the day when his first tooth erupts. Most the commonly first tooth erupts within the age of 4 to 6 months. From that day regular oral hygiene and routine visits to the dentist is important for the dental health for children.
Teach your child proper oral care at a young age so that he/she can enjoy a life full of taste and mouth hygiene. Poorly developed and diseased teeth can result in poor nutrition, infections, improper speech development and poor self-image. Following are some simple steps to protect your child’s teeth and gums from these problems:
- Brush twice in a day. Don’t eat anything before brushing your teeth in morning and after brushing your teeth in the evening. It is advisable to use toothpaste for children when cleaning your kids’ teeth.
- Use fluoride toothpaste from the very beginning. For your child start it from tiny grain rice size and then a pea size dab of toothpaste at the starting of age 3. Take care that your child does not gulp the toothpaste
- Floss your teeth on daily basis to remove plaque between them and under the gumline for protecting your teeth from tartar. You should start flossing your child’s teeth
at the age of 4. Click on the link to see how to remove tartar.
- Eat a well-balanced diet with low starch and sugar because they produce plaque acids.
- Don’t put your child to bed with juice or milk bottle. Use only water for the night.
- Teach your child that what should he/she do if his tooth is knocked out or broken
- A good way to encourage your child for brushing is a use of pleasantly flavored toothpaste. It will make brushing an enjoyable experience for your child.
- Take your child to the dentist on regular basis for the checkup.
- Use a soft-bristled brush for protecting your child’s gums from rashes.
- Clean the outer surface and inner surface of teeth gently along with gumline.
- Don’t forget to brush your tongue last.
When should you start caring for your child’s teeth?
When the first tooth of your child erupts, you should start taking care of his gums and teeth. As I have already mentioned that most of the children erupt their first tooth at the age between 4 – 6 months, so
that’s a day to start.
Initially use a cotton or soft cloth to clean your child’s gum and teeth and at the age of 1, start using a soft bristled toothbrush with grain rice size of toothpaste. Start flossing your child’s
teeth when his single tooth converts into a pair of teeth.