Here are some staggering facts:
- Approximately 3 million child abuse reports are made each year.
- Illinois had 250,000 calls in 2006.
- 112,000 children were reported as being abused and neglected (in the last 2 years IL has seen a 7% increase in the # of children reported)
- 27,167 of these being indicated or confirmed. 50% of these children were under the age of 5
- DCFS investigated 10,000 sexual abuse cases in 2006
- Child abuse and neglect is the single leading cause of death for infants and young children under the age of 4.
- One out of every 7 sexual assault victims reported to law enforcement agencies were under the age of 6.