Naturally, it’s easy for young children to be distracted. They can easily lose focus whenever something catchy attracts them. And as a parent, you try to find different ways to improve your kid’s focus and help them be more attentive in important matters. There are several ways to improve their concentration such as scheduled routines and playing focus games. Working out can also help them to become more attentive.
How To Know If Your Child Can’t Concentrate
You might observe that your child has a problem in concentration when he or she exhibits the following signs:
- Easily distracted
- Loses their things
- Anxious, seem restless
- Can’t follow instructions
- Difficulty in catching up to school matters
- Bad-tempered, temperamental, somewhat violent
- Not able to keep long term friends
Why Kids Lose Focus
Oftentimes, the only reason why a child loses their focus is that they are indeed, just a child. Unlike adults, most of the new things that they see around them are like magic in their minds. Just one tun of their head and a certain object will instantly catch their attention. Below are some of the reasons why kids lose focus:
- New environment. Usually, when they are in a new place, they tend to observe everything at once as much as possible. They want to make sure that they get to see all the interesting things around them.
- Lacks understanding. Kids lose focus when the current activity that they are doing does not make sense to them. For example, seeing a movie that seems too hard to understand for them. If they can’t understand the storyline, they will divert their attention to something else.
- They are not challenged. It’s human nature that we always want to do things that will bring out the best in us. The same with kids, they prefer to be engaged in a more exciting activity that will test their abilities. You can visit www.besttreadmillsaustralia.com.au/ to see how running can help your child’s energy.
- Environmental stimuli. They tend to lose focus when a sudden event happens around them or when something interesting catches their attention. This is quite tricky most especially since kids have different environments in school and at home.
- Unmotivated. When kids are not properly rewarded for their good deeds, they instantly feel demotivated. This often results in a lack of concentration.
- Incomplete sleep and meals. Health is a huge factor that significantly affects kid’s focus. Obviously, it’s hard to concentrate if an individual hasn’t gotten enough sleep. But apart from that, not having a complete meal will also distract them. Even adults will have a hard time concentrating if they didn’t get enough sleep and a hearty breakfast.
- General anxiety. When a child feels uneasy at all times, they are probably suffering from anxiety. This usually occurs when kids are introduced to a new environment or to someone they don’t feel comfortable with.
Improve Focus With Simple Techniques
Losing focus and lack of concentration happens to kids all the time. This can be quite alarming because you know that once they lose focus, their academic performance and safety might be compromised. As a parent, you only want what’s best for them. That is why you try to prepare them for the reality of life as much as you can. You can improve their focus by doing these very easy-to-follow guidelines:
- Teach them to follow a schedule. Give them a list of things-to-do with a specific time and area for each activity. This will help them manage their time as they will be accustomed to prioritizing things like doing homework, taking a bath, sleeping, and eating.
- Focus games and exercises. Pick games that you know will require focus and concentration. That way, their attentiveness will be practised in a manner that they enjoy the most, playing. Some of the games that you can choose for your kids are Uno, puzzles, memory, and sequencing games. By doing this, they will be educated and trained to stay focused without them even knowing.
- Keep their environment free of distractions. You may not be able to do this everywhere, most especially in their classroom, but you can improve their focus by providing them a study area where distractions are prohibited. This typically depends on the personality of your child, over time, you will realize the things that actually distracts them and the things that make them more attentive.
- Limit screen time. Improve your kid’s focus by giving them a scheduled screen time. Gadgets and devices have a huge impact on their overall behavior and personality. Once they get accustomed to the routine, it will be easier for you to train them to focus on important matters.
- Keep your kids healthy. Healthy kids are smart kids, and smart kids are focused. Their general health is directly connected to their performance and energy. If a child is malnourished, it will be harder for them to concentrate on almost everything, yes even during playtime and outdoor activities.
- Encourage them to be physically active. Any physical activity will help them improve their lack of concentration and focus. Check this page on how to set up a gym room at home to get your child more active. Allowing your kids to engage in exercises that will engage their mind and body will have a drastic effect on how they concentrate on simple things. To make this more fun, you can enroll them in sports programs that they will surely enjoy.
A parent’s greatest joy is knowing that their child is excelling in their academics and chosen career path. But it will only be possible if they are properly trained since childhood. Improve your kid’s focus today and see how equipped they will be for the battles of life.